Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Paddlefest

Photo Courtesy of Mike Baker
I spent last weekend covering Paddlefest in Cincinnati for Glucose magazine. On Saturday over 1,400 paddlers hit the water to paddle 6 miles. The take out was at the Great American Ballpark home of the slumping Reds.

I thought I was going to be one of the slower ones because I was in a short whitewater boat that plows the water, but there were other paddlers in much smaller boats. It’s pretty cool being part of a string of canoes and kayaks that runs as far as you can see upriver and downriver.

My piece on the event should be in the August issue of Glucose.

The half-way rest stop was a paddle boat tied to shore. Jake Speed and the Freddies played their unique mix of American folk, bluegrass, and ragtime music from the boat’s top deck. Jake writes a song a week at the CincyBeat’s website – very entertaining.

On the boat I met Mike Baker who spent the perfect Saturday morning snapping photos. He was kind enough to email me some of his shots like the one above. Thanks Mike.

No comments: