Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lost Summers and Lightning Bugs


I wore jeans yesterday for the first time in months. Kind of depressing. I recently wrote an essay about lost summers and lightning bugs. Have a sample:

I can’t help but smile when I see lightning bugs.

I remember being barefoot and shirtless scattering across the yard with the other kids, arms outstretched, legs pumping, hands ready to snap shut gently, my focus shifting from one pulse of light to the next. Caution had to be taken to avoid tripping over the balls, bats, rackets, and lawn darts, left over from a successful day of play. Saplings that we had nursed through the dry summer and parents in lawn chairs provided their own unique challenges.

There was always that moment of questioning, Do I have more than air? Then it would happen -- yellow light filling the spaces between my fingers. A miracle!

No comments: